Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Solitude

Solitude is a funny thing. Without it I get antsy and pissy, but given too much I start to get a little delusional. The voices in my head get louder and start whispering the most bizarre things.

It has been 4 days since I last saw another person.

Almost 100 hours.

I am climbing the walls.

The first two days were exactly what I needed, time to rest and recharge my batteries. And then it started snowing. And snowing. And snowing. You get the idea.

The last two days I have been cooped up without being able to get out and go anywhere. The roads are treacherous at best and only worth driving if absolutely necessary.  While my sanity is important, most would agree that it isn't worthy of declaring a state of emergency.  Usually the snow helps, but not even the sight of freshly fallen snow was enough to compensate.

Instead, the snow was just a reminder of other "snow" days in my life. The memories of those, both lovely and excruciatingly painful, haunt me in a way that little else does.

I hope with every fiber of my being that the roads are clear enough to drive tomorrow.

Because the silence is deafening.

No comments:

Post a Comment